Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Today's excursions...

Jeremy in his cello classroom
Jeremy's cello teacher was nice enough to let us take the cello home for purposes of practicing.  It is a battered veteran of (presumably) many wars with children who didn't want to practice!  Anyway, Jeremy has been working hard on bowing techniques, and is starting a few notes.  I hope our downstairs neighbor doesn't mind too much!  We didn't have time to walk Leopoldo today, so I haven't seen her.
View of S. Maria della Consolazione from the monastery





Todi from the monastery.  The steeple at the far right (you can just see it poking up above the trees) is right by our house.
 
In the afternoon, we walked out to the nearby monastery (I assume -- they call it a "convento" but there are only men listed, so that's my conclusion.  On the way, we saw chickens and a pig!
Surprise!  A hog!
And chickens!
A few other animals at the monastery
  Possibly some rabbit houses, but we won't dwell on the reasons they might raise those.
One of my sweeties.


Todi from the monastery.  If you look about 1/3 of the way from the left, lowest row of houses, the pale yellow one is the one I want to buy.
The monastery was pretty well closed up, with a morse code bell signal depending on the brother you wanted to summon.  I didn't have the courage to start summoning people, so we just wandered around.  But we did find out when Mass is offered, so we may attend a Mass there.

A little shrine on the way to the monastery
On the way up to the monastery, there are Stations of the Cross.  Very pretty, although modern.  Terra cotta sculpture inside small shrines. along the road.  I didn't take pictures because it didn't feel right, somehow.  Sorry about that!

4 comments:

  1. It is beautiful! I especially like the pictures of the town and S. Maria from the monastery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Jeremy! Good for you trying the cello!
    Love the pictures -can't wait to see all this for real!
    Lots of love
    Vovo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a beautiful place for a walk. I'm not sure if I could pick out your new villa, but i loved shots of the town and monastery. That is my favorite shot to date of S. Maria. Thanks for posting full sized pictures.

    Granddad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a lottery ticket today. I'm feeling pretty good about this one. Alexandra, I think I can buy that villa for you!!!

    Good Wine!!!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete