Monday, February 14, 2011

People

We were asked about people in an earlier comment.  We haven't taken lots of pics of others because it feels a little odd to take pics without their permission.  But there are plenty of people around!  It's a bustling little town, depending on the time of day.  When school gets out, a crowd of kids comes down the hill towards the piazza.  In the morning, all the older people are doing their shopping.

Yesterday we went to Mass at the Duomo again.  This time, it wasn't held in the main cathedral, but in the crypt downstairs.  It was crammed with about 120 people in it.  Maybe.
After Mass, we approached the organ and asked if Eleanor & I could sing with the choir.  We were warmly welcomed by Rita, who will call me about the rehearsals, and Will -- a Hollander who now lives here.  Will introduced us to Suzie, a British ex-pat who lives in the area.  Jeremy would like to be an altar server, so we need to ask "Sorella Barbara" (Sister Barbara) if that will be possible.  Florence may also serve if it's allowed.
We got the library card today.  If you can call it that.  The librarian took my information and  that of Florence and Eleanor and handwrote it into a little ledger.  She now knows what all of us look like, and we can check books out.  She simply writes them down under our names.  You may check out up to three per person -- so we have a total of 6 allowed out at a time now.  I think. Maybe it's 9.

My bank account is finally almost open, after 4 trips and two phone calls with the bank.  I won't get my ATM card until the bank director's printer starts working again.  Then he'll call me and I can go get it.  Since I have no money in the account as yet, it's rather irrelevant.  But really!  Four trips?  It's a good thing I wasn't in a huge hurry!  Needless to say, at this point we know the bank director quite well.  He has two children, one in her 20s and a boy who's 18.  I decided sight unseen that he's too old for Eleanor to hang around with...

Of course, our downstairs neighbor, Vinca, and her dog, Leopoldo.  And our 90-year-old grocery store friend.

We also met a wonderful artist today.  He does wood inlays, and has the most marvelous shop ever.  He has an Escher inlay that I covet, but can't possibly afford.  So I visit it every time we go shopping.  His site is www.woodinlaysitaly.com He works right there in the shop, and stops what he's doing when a customer comes in.

The waiter at our local restaurant is adorable and I want to bring him home.  We went there again last night, and he has the sweetest possible smile.  He's very kind and helpful, and really listens respectfully to the kids as they make their orders.

And of course our pasticceria friend.  She waves when we go by.  And we have our music instructors, etc.  So all in all, we really have met quite a few people in just a few weeks.  As I can, I'll get photos to share.

Love,

Alexandra

1 comment:

  1. We really look forward to reading your daily postings - we almost feel as though we are there with you!
    Please keep it up...
    Miss you tons and buns
    Much love
    Vovo

    ReplyDelete