Thursday, February 24, 2011

Our newest friend -- and more food.

When we were hanging out with Giuseppe yesterday, he mentioned a sandwich that we needed to try -- sold from a kiosk near our grocery store. 

I had to run to the bank this morning, so I sent the kids on ahead.  On the way home, I stopped by the kiosk on a whim.

Can I tell you about that pork?  Wow.  The kids were less enthusiastic because they thought there was too much fat on it (there was, but it was scrumptious anyway).  He cut it off this enormous slab of marinated and herbed and I-don't-know-what pork.  Put it on a little crusty roll, sprinkled a modicum of salt and closed it up.  Yum.

He also told me that he is the proud owner of 1000 of the olive trees in the area of town where we were walking the other day (the long walk) -- and presses his own oil.  He insisted on giving me a sample bottle -- 100 ml -- hardly "little".  The kids who complained about the sandwich then fried up some bread with that olive oil.  They thought they'd died and gone to heaven.  So we'll be getting more of his oil.  Serious yumminess.  Unfortunately, the harvest is at the end of the year, so we won't get to see it happening. 

His name is Enrico, and his website is www.nonnoenrico.com (Granddad Enrico).  We love him already!

Love,

Alexandra

2 comments:

  1. I tried the website - in big letters is says: Sito in Costruzione! Even I understand that....!! Find out from him when it will be done, and if we in America can order olive oil from him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll check in with him when I see him next time! And I can tell you that it really is yummy. Thank you for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete