Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Gelato and Giuseppe

It all started with a photograph...

Jeremy wanted to take a picture of one of the cute little trucks that they have here, and he asked if it was okay (there were two men standing next to it).  "Sure!" I said, and as he was taking the picture, I explained to the men that we love the small trucks and that they're really different from what we have.

I was collared by this older gentleman, who started talking to me at 19 to the dozen.  His name is Giuseppe, and he lives with his wife on the road we go down.  He had me cornered for almost an HOUR with the two boys.  The girls went ahead, not knowing where we were, and ended up turning out their pockets in order to pay for the groceries.  They were NOT happy about it.

In the meantime, I learned that he has no children (he's sad about it) and that his sister's grandchildren live a long way away.  But -- connections! -- his wife is related (sister to?) the tobacconist who works next to his daughter's alimentari.  In other words, some of our other friends!  I learned about his dietary philosophies, his drinking habits, olive oil, the water in Rome, and a few other tidbits here and there.

I ended up inviting Giuseppe and his wife for gelato tomorrow (the gelateria is closed today in order to make fresh flavors) at 4!  We're looking forward to it -- they're making pistachio, Nutella, chocolate, cream, and something else...yum!

Love,

Alexandra

1 comment:

  1. Despite the change of plans and concern of the girls, that has to be the best part of staying somewhere. Getting to talk with the people and in their own tongue. It always amazes me how similar our concerns and complaints, no matter who or where they live. It is all about family and day-to-day living (unless you happen to be in Lybia today.)

    I definitely want to try gelato. It is interesting to se that it is made in small batches with short shelf life.

    Granddad

    ReplyDelete