Sunday, February 13, 2011

More cooking


Last night I made dinner; hoping for a lighter meal after all of the rich food we’ve been having, I prepared a salad, cooked tomatoes with herbs on top, and Italian orange cookies for dessert. The cookies were fairly popular, but I thought that they were a bit dry, though that’s probably my fault since I had to estimate everything. The thing that made them interesting was the fact that they contained semolina flour as well as regular flour, and this added a “cakiness” to the texture.
However, the tomatoes were delicious. They took hardly any work—they took about fifteen minutes to prepare before I put them in the oven, though they did need to bake for a few hours. I’ll include the recipe with a high recommendation (in English; I had to translate it before I could start):


(Serves 6)
12 large, ripe tomatoes
6 spoonfuls of parsley, finely chopped
2 spoonfuls of rosemary or sage, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
100 ml of extra-virgin olive oil

Slice tomatoes lengthwise, without removing pulp. Place in a greased tray for the oven and season with salt and pepper. Preheat the oven to 175˚ C (350˚ F).
Mix the herbs, garlic, and the olive oil. Place a small amount on top of each tomato slice, and then cook the tomatoes for two to three hours.
The tomatoes are done when the peaks (the literal translation is “summit of each tomato”) are golden, and the skin has wrinkled, causing the juices to flow out.

Enjoy, everyone!

Oh, and by the way, in case anyone is curious my all-time favorite pizza is prosciutto e funghi. The sweetness of the mushrooms perfectly combats the salty prosciutto, and the small amounts of cheese and tomato sauce have great mouth feel. Mmm…. Now I’m hungry!

Eleanor

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait for you to fix the tomatoes for me- they sound absolutely delicious!
    Lots of love to you all
    We are with Erik and Ada and has just shown me two awesome apps - Body Parts and The best of French cuisine for I-pad. Let me know how you like them.
    Vovo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm. Now I'm hungry too. Of course after a dinner of Raman noodles and frozen bagel, anything made with fresh ingredients would look great. We don't have the excuse of closed stores, but Grandma and I just couldn't bring ourselves to face Valentine's Day shoppers at Walmart.

    Instead Grandma spent the afternoon at Lowes. She replaced a few aging garden tools, bought peat moss to top off the patio garden, and bought a few bulbs to join the crocuses and daffodils popping up all over. With temperatures in the 60's today and expected in the 70's all week, our indoor winter activities will quickly come to an end. I don't want to rush the season, but, bring on the heat.

    Granddad

    ReplyDelete