Friday, April 8, 2011

An Italian Tea/Garden Party

Thinking that I'd offer a taste of our lives, I invited a few friends over for tea at four this afternoon.  Somehow it transmogrified into tea at six.  We prepared devilled eggs, strawberry shortcake, and chocolate chip cookies (yes, I know -- a rather odd combination, but I was trying to create some American foods with limited possibilities for ingredients, and a limited kitchen...). 

As is usual in Italy, nothing turns out as you expect.  First of all, the house blessing put off the schedule half an hour.  And then, of all those invited for tea, there was only one person who drank tea (I'll give you one guess).  Everyone else dived into my jug wine.  Ilian and Elizabet came (they're the ones who took me to the wine station) and brought a bottle -- which they spurned in favor of the jug wine!  But I'm sure it was a very nice bottle all the same.

We had a great time comparing notes on the Italian way of life.  A lot of laughter, a lot of love, and of course a smidgen of frustration.  We saved some of our best stories for when the Italian contingent had left, since we didn't want to offend at all.  After all, we're in love with the place!

When they left (have you EVER been to a tea party that ended at 8:45 p.m.?), we went out to dinner.  We'll be finishing with cleaning the kitchen tomorrow...

Love,

Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment